Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Half marathon or bust!

Well I completed the half marathon in Charlottesville, but boy was I in for a suprise. I don't know why I didn't realize that it was all rolling hills. You would think I would do more research on the actual marathon I am agreeing to run. and I didn't realize I was running a marathon labeled, "bad to the bone." Well, little did I know that they were different one from the next. ha ha!! The joke was on me. It was a good thing I opted not to drive the course the night before after hearing about the hills. Suprisingly, I still feel like I did very well for my first half marathon. My friend Stacey and I finished at the exact same time first in our group of 8 women. I think what got me through it without stopping was that I had mentally prepared myself that no matter what I was going to run the whole way through. At about mile 11 my hamstrings started to give out and I made it the last 2 miles with the help of Stacey and that last pack of "sport jelly beans". I also ate 2 power gels at mile 4 and 9. At least the last half mile was not one of the frequent and steady uphills, but downhill. Turning the corner to the finish line, Stacey tells me to sprint to the end. Ugh! and who puts the very end of the finish line up another hill? The whole thing was just crazy, hard, emotional, but fun! I really had no idea what I was capable of. This helps me in a lot of ways to realize my potential. I can't wait to do it again (but not for at least another 6 months!) I highly recommend. It was definately different than anything I've done before. Maybe next spring I will do a triathalon. You never know, but don't worry I have absolutely no desire to do a full marathon. I'm not that crazy :)

I will post the other pictures when I get them of all of the girls who participated! Keep watching!




I know! I am the biggest dork ever!
Kim, me, and Stacey to my left.




Kim and I and Stacey trained together the whole time



Kim and I (and Stacey) were together until mile 11!



Stacey and I finishing together!



I was a lot more tired than I looked. Did I mention that I could barely walk for 2 days and had to ice my knees? Everyone actually finished about a minute before what's posted since we had a delayed start. We all had a microchip on our shoes.

8 comments:

Chelsea said...

Um - are you the biggest stud, or what?!?! That is incredible you did that - way to go! You look so awesome in the pics too!

Amber said...

Way to go! I'm so proud of you. I've never been a runner and never wanted to run a marathon, but last Monday we went downtown to watch the Boston Marathon, and it was so inspiring, Rick and I decided we're going to do a half marathon together someday. So you'll have to be my second support, next to him. Hooray for finishing!

paulak said...

Yeah for you. Way to go, you stud you. Tough work, but worth it huh. I love the feeling of accomplishment. You rock!

Lauren said...

tprczWhat an amazing accomplishment! You are one tough gal, both physically and mentally! I admire people like you because I am not the athletic type. But your pictures and your body sure are inspiring! Congratulations!

Christina Huling said...

I don't know about my body anymore, but thank you~! I felt like it was a pretty big accomplishment for me. You can be athletic if you want to be. I taught myself to run.

West Family said...

wahts a microchip? Sounds like fun! The only "half marathon" if you call it that for me was when I was dating CHunacey. We didn't train for it, just got up one saturday and ran! I got a but cramp at mile 16, so I quit. It was pretty fun, talking and running in the hills of Idaho potatoes. Congrats!

Real Life Roberts said...

I'm so proud of you!! 13.1 (don't forget the .1) is such an accomplishment! After 3 kids...WOW! I don't know if I have the guts to do that again, especially b/c whe I did it I HAD NO kids! Congrats!

kristi lou said...

awesome christina! you are amazing!